There is a wonderful peanut butter square at a local coffee shop that my daughter and I drool over, but of course it is not vegan or gluten-free. I have wanted to recreate this lovely peanut butter delight for some time now and I have finally done it! The crisps make the square so light and airy, but the peanut butter and marshmallows make it the sinful pleasure that all desserts should be.
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup organic brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup organic smooth peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups brown rice crisps
- ¼ cup chopped organic peanuts, unsalted (divided in half)
- 1 ½ cup vegan marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Whisk together all dry ingredients.
- Stir in wet ingredients and mix well.
- Press dough into lined 9 x 5” loaf pan.
- Bake for 12 – 14 minutes. Crust will appear slightly golden brown.
- In medium size saucepan add coconut oil and butter.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir until butter has melted.
- Add brown sugar and continue to stir. Bring to slight boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add vanilla, maple syrup, peanut butter and salt.
- Place saucepan back on heat. Continue to stir until smooth.
- Turn heat off and add brown rice crisps and one half of chopped peanuts. Stir well to coat all crisps.
- Distribute marshmallows evenly over warm prepared crust.
- Pour peanut butter crisp mixture over marshmallows and press firmly.
- Sprinkle remaining chopped peanuts on top.
- Refrigerate for 3 – 4 hours until firm.
- Pull up on parchment paper and cut into 8 large squares.
Brand of ingredients:
Bob’s Red Mill: almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder, ground flaxseed
Nutriva: coconut oil
President’s choice: pure maple syrup
Earth Balance: vegan butter
Wholesome: brown sugar
Simply Organic: pure vanilla extract
Nuts To You Nut Butter: smooth peanut butter
Farmers We Know: gluten free brown rice crisps
Dandies: vegan marshmallows
Keywords: peanut butter dessert, vegan/gluten-free dessert, peanut butter square, light vegan dessert, gluten-free square