I have made this chili so many times and each time I have tweaked it to create the most flavourful chili I can. It’s loaded with so many vegetables and beans … you won’t miss the meat at all. I included millet for added fiber and vitamin B. You don’t have to cook the millet separately, just pour it into the chili and it will cook in the tomato juice.
Place oil and all vegetables in large pot, sauté vegetables for 1 minute. Stir constantly.
Add all spices and sauté for another minute. Add all other ingredients.
Add beans last. Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Turn heat off and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. This will allow all the beautiful flavours to come together. You will love it!
The cold months are approaching quickly and what better way to warm up than with a bowl of yummy chili. I love this full-flavoured vegan chili that tastes better every time you warm it up. Cut up all the vegetables ahead of time and this chili will be cooked and ready to serve in no time. Serve with vegan cheese and corn chips. Your tummy will thank you!!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 large chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (more if you like it spicier)
- 2 teaspoons iodized salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 – 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato juice
- ¼ cup dry millet
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 2 – 398 ml cans red kidney beans including aquafaba*
- 1 – 398 ml can white northern beans including aquafaba*
- Place oil and all vegetables in large pot, sauté vegetables for 1 minute. Stir constantly.
- Add all spices and sauté for another minute.
- Add all other ingredients. Add beans last. Bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat off and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. This will allow all the beautiful flavours to come together.
*aquafaba is the juice found in can with beans
can replace white northern beans with navy beans
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, vegan chili, easy, one pot chili