Prepare the carrots:
6 large organic carrots
2 cups of water
Peel each carrot into the shape of a hot dog. Ensure each carrot is the appropriate length for the bun. Your carrot should fit into the bun just as a conventional hot dog would. You will have lots of carrot shavings but you can use them for a salad or freeze the shavings and use them for a soup if you wish.Print
Just when you think everything has been tried and done…well… think again. Using a carrot for a hot dog??? Whoever thought of this is a genius! I’ve tried different recipes and have come up with one that I think tastes like the real deal. The secret is the smoked paprika and liquid smoke, you really can’t omit those 2 ingredients. Try this recipe out. It really is a lot of fun!!!
- 1/4 cup soy sauce substitute
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 large crushed garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 6 – 8 large organic carrots
- 2 cups of water
- Peel each carrot into the shape of a hot dog. Ensure each carrot is the appropriate length for the bun. Your carrot should fit into a bun just as a conventional hot dog would. Set aside.
- Whisk all ingredients to make marinade except for water.
- Place carrots into a pan of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer with the lid on just until they are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Check by gently inserting a toothpick. Don’t over cook them, you don’t want soggy dogs!
- Drain the carrots and place them in the marinade.
- Refrigerate them for 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove carrots from marinade and grill on barbecue just until you get that lovely grilled line across them. I use the marinade juice to brush the carrots as they grill. Make sure you turn them periodically to form the grill marks all around the dogs. Handle carrots with care so they do not break.
- Place dogs in buns and treat them just like a hot dog.
- Load them with all your favourite condiments and enjoy.
Keywords: hot dogs, vegan, gluten free